The Cornwall Curling Club’s highly successful Junior program has developed both recreational junior curlers, and those who have become provincial, national and even world champions. We have Little Rocker and Novice instructional programs starting at age six, and a developmental league for Under 16 teams, too! We also offer practice time for those who have been through our instructional programs.
Lauren Lenentine at the Cornwall Curling Club, autographing her 2020 World Junior Curling Championship team photo
Last season our winner’s circle included:
- Cornwall member Lauren Lenentine and her Winnipeg team win Manitoba, Canadian and World Junior Women’s titles
- Lauren Ferguson rink wins provincial Pepsi Juniors, while Mitchell Schut rink are jr. men’s runners-up
- Michell Schut team wins U18 Halifax Harvest Spiel
- Lauren Ferguson trio win Oak Island junior cashspiel
- Katie Shaw rink wins Fall Fling cashspiel
- Cornwall members Lauren Lenentine and Kristie Rogers named to Canadian Juniors all-star team
- Ella Lenentine rink are U16 provincial finalists, while Landen Warder takes coaching award
- Ella Lenentine rink goes undefeated to win PEI Under 13 Open Curling Ch’ship
- Katie Shaw rink wins PEI Syngenta U18 Girls’ Ch’ships
Sessions take place *Sundays 12:45pm – 2pm: (warm up 12:45pm-1pm, Curling Instruction 1pm-1:50pm/1:55pm, Cool Down 1:50/55pm -2pm)
The Little Rockers Program is a Junior Instructional Program for children ages 6-7. This program is lead by Junior Program Coordinator, and Instructor Kellie-Lynn Younker, along with her coaching team and volunteers. The program is a Cornwall Curling Club initiative that is guided from Curling Canada junior curling instructional programming. Children will learn ice safety, basic curling techniques, and some of the basic rules of curling. The objective is safety, fun, social interaction, an introduction to the game, and active and inclusive living! CSA approved helmets are a mandatory part of this program.
The Novice Instructional Program consists of TWO sessions per week. Sunday 1:45pm-3pm (warm up 1:45 to 2pm, Curling Instruction 2pm-2:50pm/2:55pm, cool down 2:50pm/2:55pm-3pm plus Tuesday 4:45pm to 6pm (warm up 4:45pm-5pm, curling instruction 5pm-5:50pm/5:55pm, cool down 5:50pm/5:55pm to 6pm).
There are a number of Provincial Championships available for Junior curlers to compete in each season, in the Under 13, Under 16, Under 18 and Under 21 (Juniors) age categories. Juniors may also compete in some provincial adult championships, including Mixed Doubles. There is also a less competitive Jamboree Day with fun activities. The U13 teams can be any combination of male and female while the others have separate male and female divisions. Teams require a chaperone or coach for provincial competitions Visit PEICurling.com for specific requirements.and championship schedules.
Photo credit: Craig Mackie
At the Cornwall Curling Curling Club anyone under 12, as well as everyone in the instructional program, is required to wear a helmet.