Final rock decides 2016-2017 Wendy’s U16 Development League
The Wendy’s U16 Junior Development League wrapped up this Saturday, March 18 2017, here at the Cornwall Curling Club.
Congratulations to all participants, coaches, parents/guardians and staff for making the 2nd season another success.
Congratulations to the top five teams who received gift certificates from Wendy’s Restaurant, and thanks to Wendy’s for the sponsorship.
The battle for first came down to a final game between the Lauren Ferguson and Mitchell Schut rinks. The defending champion Schut rink needed a win and 5 of the 6 ends to pass the Ferguson rink, and had 4 ends won heading into the final end. Lauren Ferguson was forced into a shot to the button with her final stone facing three Schut counters, which she made to win the end and claim first overall.
The Bailey O’Grady rink was firing on all cylinders in their final game to win six ends and capture 3rd place overall.
Ferguson rink (missing from photo: Emma Coffin)
1s Place – Lauren Ferguson, Emma Coffin, Sierra Clyke, Emily Sanderson (105 points)
Schut rink. Missing from photo: Michael MacEwen
2nd Place – Mitchell Schut, Colin MacKenzie, Michael MacEwen, Liam Kelly (102 points)
3rd Place – Bailey O’Grady, Gillian Barbrick, Katelyn Burgoyne, Megan Perry (88 points)
4th Place (Tie)
Rachel MacLean rink
– Rachel MacLean, Jordan Dunphy-Condon, Olivia Barbour, Avery Nicholson (87 points)
Katie Shaw rink
– Katie Shaw, Izzy Tatlock, Grace Bulger, Lexie Murray (87 points)
The league experienced good parity as can be seen by the above scores. The 6th and 7th placed teams tied with 84 points and all teams experienced at least one win.
On behalf of the Board and Staff of the Cornwall Curling club have a wonderful summer and we hope to see you all again next year.
Draw dates are: Oct 22, Nov 12, Dec 3, Dec 17, Jan 7, Jan 28, Feb 4, Feb 11, Mar 18.
The March 18 date is at the start of March Break, but there are limited weeks available. Teams who can’t make it that week may want to play the game on another date. January 21 has been removed from the schedule to accommodate the Future Scotties and Future Tankard events.
|WENDY’S U16 SAT. JUNIOR DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE 2016-2017 SCHEDULE|
|DRAW||DATE||ICE 1||ICE 2||ICE 3||ICE 4|
|( 1 ) 9:00||Oct 22, 2016||Lauren Ferguson vs Katie Shaw||Bailey O’Grady vs Mitchell Schut||Clara Jack vs Alexis Burris||Lily Taweel vs Rachel MacLean|
|( 1 ) 10:30||Chase MacMillan vs Cruz Pineau||<—-GAME TO BE MADE UP|
|( 2 ) 9:00||Nov 12, 2016||Chase MacMillan vs Alexis Burris||Katie Shaw vs Bailey O’Grady||Mitchell Schut vs Clara Jack|
|( 2 ) 10:30||Rachel MacLean vs Lauren Ferguson||Lily Taweel vs Cruz Pineau|
|( 3 ) 9:00||Dec 3, 2016||Cruz Pineau vs Alexis Burris||Bailey O’Grady vs Rachel Maclean||Mitchell Schut vs Chase MacMillan|
|( 3 ) 10:30||Lauren Ferguson vs Lily Taweel||Clara Jack vs Katie Shaw|
|( 4 ) 9:00||Dec 17, 2016||Lily Taweel vs Baily O’Grady||Alexis Burris vs Mitchell Schut||Chase MacMillan vs Katie Shaw|
|( 4 ) 10:30||Rachel Maclean vs Clara Jack||Lauren Ferguson vs Cruz Pineau|
|( 5 ) 9:00||Jan 7, 2017||Clara Jack vs Lily Taweel||Katie Shaw vs Alexis Burris||Rachel MacLean vs Chase MacMillan|
|( 5 ) 10:30||Bailey O’Grady vs Lauren Ferguson||Cruz Pineau vs Mitchell Schut|
|( 6 ) 9:00||Jan 28, 2017||Alexis Burris vs Rachel MacLean||Chase MacMillan vs Lily Taweel||Lauren Ferguson vs Clara Jack|
|( 6 ) 10:30||Bailey O’Grady vs Cruz Pineau||Mitchel Schut vs Katie Shaw|
|( 7 ) 9:00||Feb 4, 2017||Lily Taweel vs Alexis Burris||Lauren Ferguson vs Chase MacMillan||Rachel MacLean vs Mitchell Schut|
|( 7 ) 10:30||Cruz Pineau vs Katie Shaw||Clara Jack vs Bailey O’Grady|
|( 8 ) 9:00||Feb 11, 2017||Chase MacMillan vs Bailey O’Grady||Katie Shaw vs Rachel MacLean||Alexis Burris vs Lauren Ferguson|
|( 8 ) 10:30||Mitchel Schut vs Lily Taweel||Clara Jack vs Cruz Pineau|
|( 9 ) 9:00||Mar 18, 17||Lauren Ferguson vs Mitchel Schut||Clara Jack vs Chase MacMillan||Bailey O’Grady vs Alexis Burris|
|( 9 ) 10:30||Lily Taweel vs Katie Shaw||Cruz Pineau vs Rachel Maclean|
Here are the team rosters:
|WENDY’S U16 SAT. JUNIOR DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE 2016-2017|
|1||Chase MacMillan||Davis Nicholson||Liam Barbrick||Jack MacFadyen|
|2||Rachel MacLean||Jordan Dunphy-Condon||Olivia Barbour||Avery Nicholson|
|3||Mitchell Schut||Colin MacKenzie||Michael MacEwen||Liam Kelly|
|4||Alexis Burris||Sydney Howatt||Meghan Sherren||Madelyn Cantwell|
|5||Katie Shaw||Amy Spence||Grace Bulger||Lexie Murray|
|6||Lauren Ferguson||Emma Coffin||Sierra Clyke||Emily Sanderson|
|7||Clara Jack||Beth Walsh||Aurora Ulvstal||Darrah MacLeod|
|8||Bailey O’Grady||Gillian Barbrick||Katelyn Burgoyne||Megan Perry|
|9||Lily Taweel||Gracie Gaudet||Annabelle Orichefsky||Maggie Campbell|
|10||Cruz Pineau||Brock Rochford||Braydon Snow||Noah Gallant|
1. Round Robin format
2. 6 end games
- Early draw starts at 09:00 am and late draw starts at 10:30 am Saturday Morning on the dates indicated.4. Score will be tabulated as follows: 5 points for a win; 2.5 points each for a tie; 2 points for each end won; 1 point each for blank ends.
- Teams are responsible for marking their score when they come off the ice. Players are strongly encouraged to play all 6 ends regardless of score. If a team does decide to retire early the other team will be awarded 2 points for the remaining ends.
- In the event of a tie in score at the end of the season, the winner will be determined in the following order: Wins in game against each other; Points for wins and draws; Points for ends; Total Score (i.e., the sum of your game scores).
- If a game cannot be played it is up to the teams to make the game up. A double game on the same Saturday may be the best option for this or contact Bev at the Club for other available ice. If a team defaults and decides not to make the game up the other team will be awarded the win and 4 of the 6 ends for a total of 13 points.
- Coaches / Chaperones can go out to the ice when they see an opportunity to teach their team. The spirit of the rule is to allow the coaches to help their teams think about different possibilities and learn, not just call the shots for the team. Other reasons may include helping their teams with etiquette, speeding up play or perhaps interpreting the rules.
- Have FUN and Good Curling!